Friday, February 27, 2026

 Parotidectomy and Results

 
 
 
I began to be very hesitant about getting the surgery. The idea of possible facial paralysis really scared me. I began to wonder if, perhaps instead, I could just have the tumor monitored. I went back to the surgeon to ask a few questions. A new surgery date was set, but I still wasn't sure if this was the right course of action for me. I did some research online and I joined a Facebook group. Online I found it's the standard treatment to take the parotid gland and tumor out. In the facebook groups, several people had posted that they were told their tumor was benign, but when they biopsied it, it was actually cancer. They also mentioned, that if you just monitor the tumor, it has the chance of growing larger, making it harder to remove without nicking the facial nerve. They also said, that even a benign tumor has the potential to turn into cancer. With that information, I decided, yes, this must come out.
 
I was still quite nervous about the facial nerve before surgery. The hospital told us we needed to be there for surgery at 5:30. We figured it would take about an hour and half to get there and we got there just as the valet parking was open. We waited for a while.They took me back and I waited for some more time. Then finally it was surgery time. The surgery itself took 2 hours. The first thing I did when I woke up was to smile and blink. I thanked God that my facial nerve remained intact. I had to stay 4 hours in the PACU before I could go home. I'm not sure of why I had to wait and forso long. My mom and I ended up waiting an extra hour and half for a fellow to see us and see if my smile and blinking was normal. Then I was allowed to go home. All in all, we were gone for 13 hours! They gave me an ointment to put on the wound and some pain meds. I ended up never taking the pain meds as the pain wasn't great enough, most likely because everything was numb. I did have to eat very soft foods as chewing hurt my jaw as the muscle had to be moved and stretched to get the gland out. I'm still eating softer foods now, at a week and a half later.
 
(Stitches and drain)
 
 
(Stitches and drain out)
 
 

(Stitches and drain out)
  


I got the drain out two days after surgery. I also saw the surgeon about a week later to take out the stitches. He didn't have the pathology report as it hadn't come back yet. Two days ago, I got a call that the pathology report was back and it turned out the tumor was cancer. I was shocked and a little scared when I heard this news. I was told I would need radiation to treat the area. I also need to have a PET scan which I have scheduled for about a week from now. I have an appointment with a radiologist oncologist, next week. I want to get a radiologist oncologist, or head and neck cancer oncologist that is more local as I plan to do the radiation locally.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simulation

 Simulation   I recently went to Sloan to have my mold shaped for radiation.  I first was put through the Ct machine. I'm not sure if it...