Thursday, October 3, 2024

Siesta Key, FL Vacation

Siesta Key, FL Vacation 

 

    On Saturday, September 21, my father and I went to Siesta Key Florida. I was just about done with my IV's. I had one infusion left for the morning of the flight. I brought my IV ball in my bookbag along with my saline and heparin. We got through early and I infused my med before we got on the plane. I would later deaccess my port and pull out the needle after we landed. Having no sharps container, I took the needle back home with me to so I could properly dispose of it.

    The first three days were beautiful and the Gulf was as flat as a lake. My favorite thing to do is to go to the beach a half hour before sunset and watch the clouds and the sun. After the sun sets, I like to take a walk on the beach and just enjoy the quiet and the sound of the ocean waves. There was an unusual phenomenon present in the water  for the first few nights, where at night, the caps of the waves were lighting up blue due to the bioluminescent plankton in the water. It was quite a sight to see. On Sunday, I had my dad drop me off to the drum circle at the public beach. I stayed there for an hour, and after sunset, I began walking back to the condo. It's maybe a mile of beach walking. The sand at Siesta is a white, fine powdery quartz, and it gets pretty compact so it's pretty easy to walk on. We went to the beach every day for the first three days and we got pizza on the last of night. It was decent but Florida isn't really the best place for pizza. 

     On the fourth morning we had our coffee on the lanai like usual and I started looking through my phone. I kept seeing that the tropical depression that had been brewing was turning into a hurricane. Islands nearby had evacuation orders. The more I read the more I realized, it was most likely not safe to stay on the Key. Then, finally I read a few posts that said Siesta Key was under a mandatory evacuation. I kept telling my dad but he didn't seem to take it too seriously until he phoned someone from our condo's association who confirmed that indeed, we needed to evacuate. My father called my mother and she suggested we go to stay with her friend an hour and a half north of us in New Port Richie. She and her husband had no problem with that and so we showered, packed up our bags and the condo, and began our travels. We stayed with my mom's friends for 3 days. We know them pretty well as they used to live in the same town as us. They fed us and made us feel at home. The storm passed through the area there with little to no damage. Just a little bit of debris. Siesta Key had been a victim to the storm surge and most businesses, homes, and condos took on at least 3-5 feet of water in their first floors. We could not return to our condo and so we left for the airport on Saturday from our friends home. Thankfully our flight was not delayed. 

 


 (View from the lanai)

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simulation

 Simulation   I recently went to Sloan to have my mold shaped for radiation.  I first was put through the Ct machine. I'm not sure if it...