Getting the Call for a Kidney and My Graft Fails One Treatment Shy of My Transplant (Dialysis)
Toward the last two to three months of dialysis, I would get calls about potential donor matches, but every time they would end up calling back to say they didn’t really feel the match was right for me. This gave me hope though that my time on dialysis was nearing an end.
Finally, the call came in. I was informed they found a good match for me. My kidney was to come from a woman who was in her early 50s, who exercised and ate healthy. This would be a four-way swap with a total of 8 people involved. Four people would be receiving a kidney and four would be donating. One person who was donating would be from California. My sister and I were called in for a few last-minute tests and a date was set for a week or two from that point.
I went into dialysis for my last treatment. One week shy of a year. They went to put the needles into my graft but there was a problem. My graft had no thrill. It was not usable. I was sent to a vein center where they put a new catheter into my chest. I couldn’t believe my graft didn’t hold out for my last treatment. The people at the vein center said I was lucky it lasted as long as it did as my veins really weren’t able to support a graft. In the end, I was glad to have had the graft as the threat of an infection in my catheter, so close to my heart, scared me. On top of that, the graft didn't make the machine stop and beep the way my catheter did, which meant I didn’t need extra fluid sent back to me. I could also shower with no problem. When I had a catheter, I was not allowed to get it wet. So, for all these reasons, I am grateful that I was able to have a graft.
No comments:
Post a Comment