Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Getting a Graft in My Arm (Dialysis)

 Getting a Graft in my arm (Dialysis)

 

   

    When I first started outpatient dialysis, I had already had a catheter placed in my chest on the opposite side of my port. Catheters are discouraged as they don’t work as well and they are right by your heart and can cause some problems because of that. A protein sheath can grow around the tubing inside of the chest on the catheter as well, which is not a good thing. My catheter often caused my dialysis machine to alarm because the blood would be too thick to move through the lines. When this would happen, they would send fluids back through the machine to unclog the tubing and to get the blood moving again. This usually meant I would be left with extra fluid on my body at the end of a session. I generally carried my fluids in my belly and when I was carrying a lot, it was harder to breathe. After a few months, my doctor agreed that I could see a surgeon about getting an AV graft or AV fistula, since I might need to be on dialysis for a while. It was determined that my veins were too narrow for a fistula due to all the years of IVs, midlines, and PICC lines. So, I was scheduled to have a graft put in my arm. They would put a Teflon tube in my arm that connected to a vein and an artery. When I first got my graft, I wasn’t able to use it right away. It needed to heal. Besides that, grafts and fistulas need to mature before they can be used. I was instructed to squeeze a stress ball several times a day to help strengthen the graft. I was also told I could, under no circumstances, sleep on that side of my body as the graft could close up and lose its thrill. The thrill is the vibration of the blood moving through the graft. This tells you the graft is working well. When it was deemed mature enough, the technicians started using two small needles to connect into the graft. I can’t remember how long it was, perhaps a week or two, before they would increase the needle size. Eventually I would reach the target gauge. I remember the needle being so thick it reminded me of a dull pencil. I was prescribed a numbing cream that I was instructed to put on an hour before my session. I was told I should put the cream on my arm and then wrap my arm in plastic wrap. It would need a while to kick in. I barely had enough time to eat my breakfast and get ready every morning before dialysis. I had no time to wrap my arm for an hour. I just dealt with the pain of the needles. The pain was over pretty quickly but some days it did make me a bit nauseous.  Each singular needle left a scar, that’s how thick the needles were. My breakfast consisted of a turkey burger every morning. Besides dialysis cleaning your blood of excess toxins, it also sucks out some protein. I did my best to get enough protein every day.

    During dialysis, I would be absolutely freezing. I couldn’t stay warm. When the catheter was in my chest, I was able to wear sweatshirts and a jacket. But, when I got my graft in my upper arm, I couldn’t wear long sleeves or a jacket anymore. I always brought a blanket, and the chair was heated, but it wasn’t enough to keep me warm. I kept the heat turned up to the highest level, but the chair would just end up burning my butt!

    I didn’t watch tv like most other people there. To tune out the noise of game shows, and to occupy myself, I just listened to my iPod. It was rare, but on occasion, I would be able to fall asleep for a short time. I also had an iPad my parents had bought me, for hospital stays. I didn't use it too frequently though as something about dialysis just made me feel so uncomfortable and sick. When I looked around, other people seemed to be comfortable and seemed just fine. I’m not sure why it felt so bad for me.

 


(Catheter is gone)



(Just got my graft-I went to see Fiona Apple in concert with my sister a day or two after getting my graft. My arm was swollen and hurt terribly but we had second row seats!)



(The grafter after the gauze was taken off)



(Just a few uses of the graft)



(Dialysis with the graft. I can't keep my arm warm now.)




(The graft after being used several times)



 
(More graft dialysis)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simulation

 Simulation   I recently went to Sloan to have my mold shaped for radiation.  I first was put through the Ct machine. I'm not sure if it...