Surgery Day and Throwing up Bile
Finally, the day of surgery, June 26, 20012, age 30. I woke
up and vomited bile. I felt like I had a mild pancreatitis. I didn’t know what
to do. Should I call and see if it was safe to have surgery? Could surgery even
be canceled? My sister had to be at the hospital earlier that morning, as her
surgery was before mine. Certainly, some surgeries had already taken place. I
figured there wasn’t much that could be done so I just got myself ready. When I
was in the waiting area getting ready for surgery, they told me they may need
to put a line in my leg. I said, “Absolutely not!” I had heard of another
transplant recipient who had needed a line put in her leg for her lung
transplant surgery and she had nothing but problems from it, including blood
clots. I told them repeatedly how angry I would be if I woke up to find a line
in my leg. I informed them I had a port and certainly someone in the hospital
should be able to access it. I told them I didn’t care if I ended up with 5 peripheral
IVs in my arm, they were not to put a line in my leg. They told me they would
try their best not to. I was then wheeled into surgery. It wasn’t until I was
on the operating table that I told the team of surgeons about vomiting up bile.
They said don’t worry you’ll be fine and they put the anesthesia mask on my
face. They did end up putting several peripheral IV's in my arm.
No comments:
Post a Comment