Monday, September 16, 2024

Squamous Cell Cancer of the Eyelid

Squamous Cell Cancer of the Eyelid


   

    I had seen various dermatologist and eye doctors over the years and I would always ask them about this small scab that would form on my eyelid. They all told me it was just dry skin. This went on for about 8 years. I finally went to a skin doctor that took a look at my eyelid and did not like the way it looked. She suggested I see an ophthalmologist that could take a biopsy of the area for me. So I made and appointment and he was able to do the biopsy for me. It was absolutely painful! He had to inject my eyelid with lidocaine several times and the pain was searing. My eye started to tear. He then began to use a tool to slice a small piece of skin from the area. The whole process made me want to faint. Because I have endured so many procedures and had so many brushes with death, sometimes I get a little PTSD, even with a little biopsy. The results would come back as positive for squamous cell carcinoma. I can't say I was too shocked but I was also not very happy. I felt a little angry as I had brought it to the attention of numerous doctors who all said it was nothing to worry about. He told me the plan would be to remove the section of diseased tissue and reconstruct the eyelid all in one surgery. On March of 2017, at the age of 35, I had surgery to remove the cancerous lesion, and then the doctor used a tenzel flap to close the wound. Although the area felt extremely uncomfortable from the stitches, I was not in any pain after the surgery. My eyelid healed very well and I could barely tell that I had surgery there. I was pleased with the outcome.

     


 (My eyelid after a few days of healing, stitches still in.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simulation

 Simulation   I recently went to Sloan to have my mold shaped for radiation.  I first was put through the Ct machine. I'm not sure if it...