Low Blood Pressure and Pulmonary Rehab (Dialysis)
Typically, at the end of a dialysis session, my blood
pressure would be extremely low, usually around 90-70/50. Having low blood
pressure made my pulse quite high, sometimes, as high as in the 130s range. It
was hard to even walk with my blood pressure this low. I could feel a burning
sensation in my shoulders, and I felt very weak and light-headed. I would drive
myself home and immediately take my beta blocker to lower my pulse. Next, I
would make myself something to eat, which took some effort as my blood pressure
was so low. I often ate something that was a little salty because I needed to
raise my blood pressure a little bit. I didn’t normally eat salty foods other days, just mostly the first meal after dialysis. Then, I would lie in my
bed for a while, waiting for my blood pressure to come up a bit, and my pulse to
go down some. As I mentioned earlier, dialysis can remove some protein as well,
and I thought it would be in my best interest to attend pulmonary rehab once
again. There was one day a week where I would end up needing to go to rehab the
same day as dialysis. So, on that day, I would schedule rehab for the last
possible session, and after I rested up, I would change into exercise clothes
and head to rehab. I only went to rehab for about 3-4 months as insurance only
pays for 3 months at a time. I would sometimes miss a day here or there, which
extended the length of my time at rehab.
I would get the occasional lung infection while on
dialysis. Luckily this just required a round of IV antibiotics. This happened
twice during my time on dialysis. It was just one antibiotic twice a day. One
of the doses would be administered during my dialysis treatment. It was only a
mild inconvenience. The thing I really disliked about it, was, although it was
a very small IV ball, it meant that it would cut into the amount of fluids I
could drink. It might have amounted to 6-8 ounces of fluids in total, but I
would much rather have drunk that.
(Port accessed for IV antibiotics on one side and chest catheter for dialysis on the other.)
No comments:
Post a Comment