Thursday, August 15, 2024

Bedpans and Mucus and X-Rays, Oh my!

 Bedpans and Mucus and X-Rays, Oh my!

 

    It was very hard for me to use a bedpan. In the beginning, nurses had to help me use it as they needed to roll me over to the side, on top of my chest tubes which hurt very much, put the bedpan down, and roll me back over. It was no easy feat to have a bowel movement lying down. As time progressed, I would learn to put my bed into a sitting position which made it a bit easier. I had a catheter in for a while which was very helpful as you might imagine. I was put on IV Lasix, in the beginning of my stay to drain the water weight I put on. This means I had to pee quite frequently. Once the catheter was removed, this was a very annoying inconvenience for me and my family who had to help me constantly use the bedpan, because as the name implies, Lasix lasts for six hours.

    After a few days, I was told I needed to spend time sitting in a chair to help me gain some core muscle strength. It was so uncomfortable it bordered on torture. I was supposed to sit there for at least a half hour. It was very hard for me to eat as well because, as I had mentioned, my taste buds were off. Not only that, I had a terribly dry mouth. The food was not very good either. I often would just drink an Ensure instead of eating a meal. I needed to have my insulin monitored three times a day and often needed insulin shots. Thankfully, I never went on to develop Diabetes as so many other transplant patients had. I needed frequent bronchoscopies as I could not ambulate and mucus would get stuck in my lungs. I found it hard to cough and bring up mucus after transplant. My brother-in law and other family members would take turns giving me a little modified CPT on my back.  I also had to learn a new method of trying to dislodge it from my lungs. I would have to learn to use a huffing cough instead. I was given a stuffed bear to hold against my chest every time I needed to cough. I suppose that was to make sure everything stayed in it's place.

    One of the worst things was getting X-rays. At first, someone would just come into my room with a portable machine and do the X-ray right there. Although it was a bit uncomfortable, it was convenient and quick. At some point it was decided I needed to be transported to another connecting building for X-ray.  Sometimes a bed would come, sometimes a wheelchair. It was usually in the morning hours. I would be dropped off to wait in queue with other patients. It was uncomfortable and boring. The worst part wasn’t even waiting for my turn while in complete discomfort, it was waiting for someone to transport me back. I never knew how long it would take, but it usually took about an hour, possibly more. This was torture.

 


 (giving consent for a Bronch, and as always, nebbing)


 

(more nebs)



(more nebs, but with siblings!)



(getting in some chair time)
 

(trying to rest as I do a neb, and my sister inspects my leaking wounds) 
 

 (brtoher-in-law doing some CPT)


(my dad helping me exercise my legs)


(Sister helping with my leg therapy)


(trying to get some arm strength)


(graduating to water bottles)

(Mom helped me get clean)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simulation

 Simulation   I recently went to Sloan to have my mold shaped for radiation.  I first was put through the Ct machine. I'm not sure if it...