Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Saying Goodbye and Finding Lungs

 Saying Goodbye and Finding Lungs

 

    My family tells me they were called in to say their goodbyes to me. I have no memory of this. I’m not sure if this happened in the local ICU or at the transplant hospital. I have memories of asking my parents if I could let go three different times. I’m not sure how I managed to speak at all. I knew they would say that I couldn’t give up, and that I had to hold on. I needed to hear this. I needed to know they still believed there was hope, and that they weren’t ready to let me go. I clung to this and to the fact that my sister was pregnant and I desperately wanted to be alive to meet my newest nephew. I also remember asking to be placed on the ventilator, at least two times, signaling to the staff that I couldn't do this much longer. I had only been at the transplant center one day when they had found lungs for me. I hadn’t been on the list. I hadn’t done my testing. I had no reason to have hope. Yet somehow, I knew deep down, that I wasn’t going to die. They finally did place me on a ventilator to give me a small break before surgery. One of the transplant doctors told me she asked for my consent for the surgery but I wasn’t really with it. I have no recollection of this. She told me she had to ask my parents for the consent instead. 

 


(Mom, dad, and sister waiting for me to be out of surgery)

 


(Happy sisters, surgery was a success!)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simulation

 Simulation   I recently went to Sloan to have my mold shaped for radiation.  I first was put through the Ct machine. I'm not sure if it...