Walking and Falling
After a few weeks a therapist would come by and help me take small walks from my bed to the end of my room. Eventually I made it down the hall. Soon after I started taking these small walks, my mother thought it would be a good idea for us to practice walking without any help. At this time, I still had my chest tubes in and they were connected to two “briefcases” that held the fluids that drained from the tubes. I was also connected to an IV pole that was connected to my epidural, as well as to my arm IV. I didn’t feel confident about this idea. I wasn’t sure how she was going to be able to hold my briefcases and me, while I pushed my IV pole. I barely had any muscles. My mother was insistent and told me “I will never let you fall.” We only got a short distance before I very slowly, slid down the length of her body and ended up on the floor. My poor nurse happened to be walking by and she saw me on the ground and frantically came running into my room. My mother and I were laughing as my mom said, “I dropped her!” We still laugh about it to this day. Needless to say, we did not attempt any more unsupervised walks.
(walking down the hall for the first time with a therapist and my parents)


No comments:
Post a Comment